If you miss read a lead (and we all do) KEEP DANCING. Don't get flustered, keep moving, laugh at what happened if appropriate but keep dancing. Truly exceptional dancers will almost always make a mistake look like something they planned if at all possible. It's all in the attitude. Whatever you do, do it with conviction. There are no mistakes in dancing, only new moves.
Don't be hard on yourself if you have trouble following a particular person. Different people dance better with some than with others. I know That, I have had the experience of being able to follow and really enjoying the way person X leads, but having other followers complain that they find him difficult to follow. I have also experienced finding a person Y difficult to follow while others found him delightful to dance with. All the followers will agree who the masters are (everyone finds them easy to dance with), but sometimes you just don't connect right with a particular lead and that's OK (think of it as an accent you're having trouble understanding).
- General tip 1: small steps
- General tip 2: stay connected
- General tip 3: D.U.I. = dancing under the influence?
- General tip 4: don't be a xenophobic
- General tip 5: keep rings to a minimum
- Leading tip 1: dance WITH her
- Leading tip 2: don't teach
- Leading tip 3: take care of yourself
- Leading tip 4: safety first
- Leading tip 5: yes!
- Leading tip 6: everybody deserves a second chance
- Leading tip 7: dance at HER level
- Leading tip 8: be humble
- Following tip 1: keep dancing!
- Following tip 2: don't back lead
(... more tips will follow soon!)